Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

The horrors of the world are never-ceasing

Nicholas Kristof has an article in the NY Times today about the ongoing tribulations in the life of one Mukhtaran Bibi, a Pakistani woman who was gang raped by six men in front of the entire community. The whole thing apparently was some kind of "punishment" for her brother. Anyway, Mukhtaran prosecuted her rapists and ended up using her compensation money to start a school.

Things just can't lie still. The government has overturned the convictions of six of the rapists and have set five free to go back to where their victim lives. She is fighting the decision but ultimately wants to stay home. If she does, I hope she has a shotgun, but I know that's just me imposing my American thinking on her.

Which is actually why I don't write about international issues very much; I don't think I have much useful to say. In this case in particular, the gang rape issue is difficult for me to comprehend. It's a phenomenon that cuts across cultural barriers and I just can't understand it. I mean, in theory I can, I know all about groupthink and male entitlement and all that jazz. But still, to consider what a feat of cowardice it must be to follow everyone else in victimizing someone..... It makes me ashamed to be human, it really does.

Anyway, I thought I'd draw your attention to the story. Kristof can grate in that he feels like he's a huge hero for writing about international women's issues and needs to constrast himself favorably with feminists so you get the point, which makes him seem a bit insincere about his concern at times. But this article is really well-written and comes highly recommended.