Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Thoughts on being called a "tomboy"

Watching people for three days straight, which is half the point of going to outdoor festivals, will get a person to thinking. Hopefully such thoughts won't all disappear before I have a chance to commit them to monitor.

Last time I launched off addressing language from the discussions at des femmes and more, I mentioned that it is certainly not the same insult to call a woman a man as it is to call a man a woman. By way of example, I mentioned how it's common enough for the rare women in a group of guys socializing to be called "tomboy" or "one of the guys". I threw that off to point out that calling a woman a man or just masculine can be and often is a compliment, but calling a man a woman never is. An interesting discussion started from there where mythago pointed out that to "compliment" a woman that way is actually an insult, as it still implies that her femaleness is something sort of shameful that she is getting "promoted" from.

That's a hard thing to take, no doubt, as it's certainly meant as a compliment. And it's not so straightforward as to just elevate men over women. (Though that is certainly the assumption it works off, which I'll get to in a minute.) Compliments or other comments directed at a person usually have multiple meanings. To call a woman a "tomboy" is to erase her femaleness a bit to "elevate" her to a masculine role, but it isn't utilized in that way. The person stating it and the person hearing it are more likely to understand that it means that the token difference is irrelevant, and not a difference worth noting.

But of course, if it's not worth noting, then why note it? (And, to be fair, it usually isn't.) I sat in the tub and considered all the people I saw coming and going all weekend long and it hit me--it's about sex, of course it is. Even amongst platonic friends, if you are hanging out with people of the sex that you prefer, there is sexual tension. So it occured to me that the major function of a comment like that was to state in a joking, non-confrontational way, that the speaker is assuring a woman, who naturally might feel a teensy bit objectified, that she isn't just a token sex object. In a culture where women are continually treated as sex objects or not there at all, it's understandable that in a social group whose relations are outside that, there might be some urge to reaffirm that.

But we are constrained by sexist language. Our language is modeled around imagining women only by their sexual roles or their helpmate roles. There are a handful of words that specify a woman who currently is not defined by her sexual or helpmate role, but they are few and far between. And more importantly, they are masculine. Simply put, women are specialized, men are generalized. If a woman cannot be put into a specialized category, she is functioning, linguistically at least, as a man. A "tomboy" is a girl who rejects being pigeonholed, but sadly our language identifies women who are not acting out sexual or helpmate roles as men.

I think this might be one reason that I didn't take offense at the term, and neither did some very on-the-ball feminists like Astarte. Because they aren't so much reaching for a way to "promote" someone to manhood as a word that expresses a relationship between straight men and women that isn't dippy like "platonic".

Still, the term is horribly sexist. For one thing, it still identifies a male/female relationship all through the sexual functions of the female, as the woman and her identity are still what' s put on the line. She is the one who is named, not the men who are still just the guys. No small part of the insulting nature of this term is the way that it seems that it's the woman whose sexuality must be denied, not the man's. Why mustn't the guys be assured that I know a friend from a potential lover?

It's clear that language needs to evolve. The times that a male friend has tried to make me feel comfortable by calling me a tomboy have caused me doubt that was certainly not intended--doubt not just about what the hell that means but also doubt that they remember that I'm a woman, which I like being. Also, it's not really a true statement--they are completely aware of my gender, and they are grasping for words to tell me that gender isn't everything, that friendship isn't about that. But sadly, the words to say that are gendered.

So, the quandrary is put forth. Yes, it would be best if people just hung out and no one said anything about gender, but that's not realistic when most of your friends are heterosexual. How can one distinguish between friends and crushes/lovers/potential lovers without using tired stereotypes? Remembering that even "platonic" friends indulge in flirting now and then, what kind of language would express feelings about opposite sex friends without de-sexing them or belittling them?

38 Comments:

Blogger La Lubu said...

You hit the nail right on the head. I also think "tomboy" serves to put the woman in a neuter category for the male, not just the female....not just to reassure her that she's not a sex object, but to remind him that she's "off limits"...a friend, not a girlfriend. "Tomboys" aren't girlfriends. Even though we get to hear about how we'd make great girlfriends, it's always for some other guy....the one who doesn't call us "tomboys". 'Zat make any sense?

9/19/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Tomboys" are honorary men, usually regarded in a friendly light, but definitely not fanciable by the man using the label, and probably not by most men, according to the man using the label. Or, this can be the polite way of denying sexuality to lesbians, assuming that the user is uncomfortable with lesbians. I think women use the word in that context. I think that the word can be used in favorable or derogatory contexts, but most men who want to be derogatory about a woman who intentionally presents herself as both assertive and sexually unavailable in a particular situation aren't going to be so polite (ball-breaker or dyke is more like it).

NancyP

9/19/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, the word links to a pretty clear image in my head of sitting on the front porch as a child, hearing an adult say something about a girl as a tomboy. The girl wears a baseball hat and plays sports, but is expected to "grow out of it". Personally, I think of "tomboy" as an outdated word, like "nifty" or "peachy keen." I've met so many masculine women and feminine men in my life that I've generally had to throw up my hands and say "whatever" when it comes to concepts of inherent gender traits.

Second, I thought I'd see what the history of the word was, to see if that shed any light on it. Via the "Online Etymology Dictionary":

Tomboy (1553) was originally "rude, boisterous boy," later (1579) "bold or immodest woman," then (1592) "girl who acts like a spirited boy."

Don't know if that clarifies anything or muddies the waters.

9/20/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

The very fact that it's throwback word and refers to a childish state makes me think that it's a tongue-in-cheek way to "neuter" someone.

9/20/2004

 
Blogger Ron said...

I've only heard tomboy used when referring to girls, about 7-12. If it was used for an adult, I'd find it to be mildly annoying, like when men called grown women girls.

My good friends become part of my family. So often I use "She's a sister to me" or say "Hey, sister", "Hey, brother", etc. Even though, I'm a man with 5 great (biological) sisters, there is room for more honorary ones. Of course there is the flirting aspect you point out, which I don't do my sisters. But I like this way of telling someone it's non-sexual affection.

9/20/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Well, low-grade flirting, anyway--but yeah, it's no crime and part of a lot of social gatherings.

9/20/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey nice site Check out this one about adult erotic personals really good adult erotic personals

Enjoy adult erotic personals

10/14/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was just looking around the net for web sites related to romance relationship and came across your blog. I was going to add a blog to my site, for romance relationship and of course other related material, but I'm not sure if it would work.
I'm a bit worried about getting un-wanted 'rude' posts rather than ones related to romance relationship on my site...... perhaps I just try it out - then you can come and post on it :)

Take care
Stewart

10/21/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a custom shirtholden t-shirt site called Holden Tees. We're a small company and we sell shirts and stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time

-Holden Tees

11/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your sexy nude woman blog. You might find this lingerie site interesting : SexyBedroomAttire.com

11/16/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you and visit a lot!

I have a cheap promotion site site traffic traffic web web software sales site. We sell a lot of Software about##KEYWORD## related stuff. Ia will be sending my customers to your site for more information.

11/20/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you should come to this site about adult personals totally

Its here click on adult personals totally

11/22/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if I were single and looking, and someone described a friend as a tomboy, my interest would perk up 500%. Maybe that's just me, but it seems all positive...I have no problem thinking of my hiking partner as a sex object once we're in the tent :)

And among the general public, "tomboy" is not nearly as bad as a guy being called "effeminate" or "girlie man"...

11/29/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda , I was out searching for blogs on personals and found your site. Although Thoughts on being called a wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for personals related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work.

11/30/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda I was searching for the latest information on online dating and found your site. Thoughts on being called a contains the type of information that I’m looking for. It certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for online dating related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work. I think we should trade links! If you are interested, simply email me at my online dating site with your linking informaton. Take care!

12/01/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda , your site is way cool. I found it while I was searching for blogs on online personals . I see that Thoughts on being called a is exactly what I’m looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for online personals related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. I also think we should trade links! If you are interested, simply email me at my online personals site with your linking informaton. Keep up the good work.

12/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda , I was out searching for blogs on personals and found your site. Although Thoughts on being called a wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for personals related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work.

12/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda , I was out searching for blogs on online dating and found your site. Although Thoughts on being called a wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for online dating related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work.

12/08/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Amanda, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on double your dating I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for double your dating. Should the need ever arise where you need information on double your dating then drop by for a look.

12/08/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda I was out searching for the latest information on dating personals and found your site. Thoughts on being called a contains the type of information that I’m looking for. It certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for dating personals related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work.

12/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda, you have a nice blog. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on double your dating when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on double your dating then drop by the site above and check it out.

12/11/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda I am out searching for the latest information on dating and found your site. Thoughts on being called a contains the type of information that I’m looking for. It certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for dating related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work. I think we should trade links! If you are interested, simply email me at my dating site with your linking informaton. Take care!

12/12/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really nice blog. I often browse the web for love and dating related sites and articles and last time I found http://top-personals.net. Check it if you’re looking for adult chat.

12/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda , your site is way cool. I found it while I was searching for blogs on online dating . I see that Thoughts on being called a is exactly what I’m looking for, it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for online dating related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. I also think we should trade links! If you are interested, simply email me at my online dating site with your linking informaton. Keep up the good work.

12/15/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda I am out searching for the latest information on dating online and found your site. Thoughts on being called a contains the type of information that I’m looking for. It certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for dating online related information, and I'm glad I stopped by. Keep up the good work. I think we should trade links! If you are interested, simply email me at my dating online site with your linking informaton. Take care!

12/18/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the infomation

1/09/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda greetings from down under. I was searching for the latest information on dating for men , I can see how I landed on your page. While Thoughts on being called a wasn't exactly what I was looking for. (I was after dating for men related stuff) I ejoyed reading your blog, I'll come back agin to read future posts. Take Care.

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi it never ceases to amaze me how creative people can be, especially the young ones gives me hope for the future. Anyway I was looking for information on fish online dating and landed on your page. I was looking more for fish online dating your blog wasn't an exact match but I enjoyed reading your posts. Take care and thanks for the read.

2/02/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Entertaining and informative material, keeping up the good work.

Thank You,

dog lover dog gift

2/27/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breathtaking new ebook- How to Make a Woman Sexually Addicted to You. The title says it all.

3/14/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! If you get a chance I would like to invite you to visit the following covers blog, it is cool to!

7/22/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site. Close to what I was searching for about free amateur adult movie. keep up the good work and I will return again.

8/07/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever visit Orlando, Florida check out The House - a really nice Orlando Swingers Club.

1/18/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark your blog page!

I have a dating online sims blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

2/14/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

free ad blockers

2/18/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

us post office

2/20/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

single cup coffee maker

3/19/2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel when a WOMAN is a tomboy she is more sexy. It's a shame most tomboyish girls don't keep that cultre once they reach womanhood.

5/28/2008

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home