Mouse rant blog vent mouse.

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Canada is making it easier for women to get emergency contraception

Very good news indeed, though over-the-counter access would probably be better. My guess is that many, if not most, times when someone might need to take the morning after pill are exactly those same times that their doctors are unavailable--the weekend. And even if I'm wrong on that, I do know that it can be very hard under any circumstances to get last minute treatment from your gyno, since most of them are extremely busy. My guess is that time-wise, getting emergency contraception is roughly the equivalent of trying to get antibiotics when you have a bladder infection.
If you've never had the delightful experience of waking up with what they like to call "urgency" and pain when you pee and trying to fix the situation as soon as possible because it hurts like hell, let me explain. The last time it happened to me, I realized I had a bladder infection at 5:00 AM. (My guess is that many, many contraceptive emergencies happen at inconvienent hours, as well. I myself rarely have sex during my doctor's office hours, and I live with somebody.) I ran to the grocery store and stocked up on painkillers and start swigging them back with cranberry juice. I didn't have painkillers on hand, because the last time this happened was two or three years before. At 8:00 AM, I'm at work trying not to cry or freak out imagining it's getting into my kidneys. I called the doctor as soon as his office opened and he said that I didn't have to come into the office, but I had to go pee in a cup at the lab so they could verify that is what it is. At lunch, I skip eating to do this but I am still a half hour late back. After work, with this infection probably getting uglier the whole time, I stop by Walgreen's to get my prescription.
My guess is that it's just as big a pain in the ass trying to get emergency contraception, and that's under the best circumstances, that it's a weekday and you don't encounter a sexist Jesus freak for a pharmacist who refuses to help you not get pregnant so that he has someone else to picket at the abortion line.
I know women who get frequent bladder infections so they just keep a running prescription with their doctors so they don't have to go through this every time. The equivalent I suppose is keeping a few doses of Plan B around if you should ever need it. I've heard most doctors will prescribe it like this if you explain that you think you might for some reason. Perhaps doctors should even recommend doing so for women who use condoms as their birth control method.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian that I have to ask this but... don't you have emergency rooms?

I'm prone to ear infections (get about one a year), and used to suffer from gallstones. When one of those struck, it was off to the local hospital emergency room. Neither of these were all that serious, so I'd be pretty far down on the priority list, but I'd be seen within a couple of hours at most. Finding a 24-hour pharmacy was usually a bigger problem.

5/19/2004

 
Blogger Amanda Marcotte said...

Emergency rooms are clogged with people who don't have any kind of health insurance, so they aren't really any faster, no.

5/19/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it was because I was Canadian that I had to ask...

The Canadian system of requiring a prescription for emergency contraception presupposes access to a Canadian emergency room. While not exactly speedy, these are rarely clogged with people who don't have health insurance, thanks to our provincial health plans...

5/20/2004

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked your blog on home depot canada If you want additional info, i found some here home depot canada

10/16/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chek this place out it helped me panasonic electronics

10/19/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canadian pharmacies will save you up to 90% on your prescription drugs, thanks to Canadian price control and Government's prohibition on direct-to-consumer advertising. Click here: prescription drugs online.

10/20/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blogyahoo canada yahoo canada

10/24/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great site and i would highly recommend firstdealpharmacy.com mexican mexican mexican mexican online online pharmacy pharmacy pharmacy pharmacy . You can get more information on firstdealpharmacy.com mexican mexican mexican mexican online online pharmacy pharmacy pharmacy pharmacy at firstdealpharmacy.com mexican mexican mexican mexican online online pharmacy pharmacy pharmacy pharmacy

10/30/2005

 
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/04/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from the Canuck Border! It's all in good fun, so I thought you and your visitors might enjoy canadian web hosting in the form of an Invasion plan for our Northern Neighbors! Just for fun, folks.

11/06/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy Willy Bath Plug atWilly Bath Plug

11/09/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! You've got a real knack for writing, keep on rockin! I will definitely be checking in here again soon.

This post sure got my attention - I'll spread the word about it to my friends. Sure you won't mind a few more eyeballs on your work from the four corners of the earth? :-) Thanks for a great read!

12/23/2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to find information on larger flacid penis on the internet that is as accurate as yours. I had came across larger flacid penis that actually explains larger flacid penis in more depth. Cheers.

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

1/11/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog. Love the theme. When looking for patch penis enlargement I found you in the big G. Another site I found with good info is patch penis enlargement Check it out when you get the chance. Have a good day from us here in Texas.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the same subject line, it's interesting how many people look for information about penis enlargement tip . I also like learning more about penis enlargement tip One of the sites I find very informative is penis enlargement tip I've learned alot from them.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a similar site related to discusses penis enlargement Come by some time.
I definitely like your site, bookmarked! This post is good stuff.

1/12/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

1/19/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, i was looking for some info on consumer electronics market on blogger and i found your blog. First welldone to have made one on this topic. Could you just keep it more updated ?
Where else to go to get info on consumer electronics market ?
Thanks
Klein

1/30/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bloggers,

My name is Chris. As your blog is consumer electronics sale related, i would like to invite you to my new site : http://www.newelectronicsproducts.com
It is free, it is updated daily and you can use rss feed to get the lastest info on electronics products.
Thanks for your time and thanks for letting me use your blog
Chris

1/31/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog.
Thanks for letting us post comments, - very cool of you.
I work online with my own home based business website.
I have a website. It pretty much covers movies download related stuff.
http://earthdwelr.moviecity.hop.clickbank.net
Find any movie or song fast
Cheers for now:)

2/25/2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet blog! Do the chickens have large talons? Sorry for Napolean Dynamite quote but I am in a great mood today. Also I love to see blogs that are useful and your blog falls right into that catergory. I took the liberty to add you to my favorites. Hey you might want to do the same for I update my site with new articles and info monthly. Blah, maybe you don�t! Anyways, have a great day and again very very good blog! Many thanks from north carolina home owner insurance.

3/03/2006

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home